Information technology outsourcing giant Wipro Ltd. sacked about 600 employees following a performance review, sources privy to the matter revealed. Wipro did not confirm the number of people it has asked to quit but said the move was part of an appraisal process. The downsizing followed the US move to tighten its visa regime, which had allowed Indian technology companies to hire workers from India for jobs in America. According to some employees, Wipro is likely to ax more people from the mid-level managerial roles. In an e-mail response to media inquiries, Wipro said it undertakes a rigorous performance appraisal process on a regular basis to align its workforce with the business objectives and requirements of clients.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information