Unions in Australia are expected to put pressure on a newly elected Labour government to back the campaign against companies outsourcing their jobs to other parts of the world. To note, several Labour MPs and unions have been supporting initiatives meant to stop Australian firms from sending jobs offshore where labor is less costly. Among such countries is India, the Philippines, and China, and these jobs include call center positions. The Labour MPs want a new regulatory framework that will address the offshoring. Unions and related stakeholders have said that the outsourcing firms should have first conducted labor-market testing aimed at filling positions with Australian workers before opting to send the jobs overseas. The planned crackdown is being backed by the Australian Services Union and the communications union.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information