The Joint Foreign Chambers (JFC) of the Philippines and the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry have asked senators to stop adding more nonworking holidays to the calendar, arguing that additional holidays will damage the Philippine economy. The JFC sent a letter to Senator Francis Escudero, chairman of the Senate Committee on Education, Arts, and Culture, in light of measures filed in Congress declaring July 27 of every year as a special nonworking holiday to commemorate the founding anniversary of Iglesia ni Cristo; the last Monday of January as National Bible Day; and other bills proposing additional holidays. Most firms in the Philippines will have to observe at least 21 holidays annually, compared with 12 in Vietnam, 14 in Malaysia, and 17 in Thailand.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information