With the ultimate aim of providing high-speed and affordable internet connectivity in the Philippines, President Rodrigo Duterte wants China to enter the country to set up a third telecommunications player. Currently, the country’s telecom sector is controlled by only two major players. Duterte told Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang he was giving China the privilege to operate the third telecommunications carrier in the country, something that outsourcing companies have welcomed. Early this year, at least three Chinese firms were reported to have taken an interest in competing with Globe and Smart in the Philippines. The Department of Information and Communications Technology said the Philippines will not be the world’s number one BPO voice service provider if the country’s internet speed remains so slow and expensive.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information