Four foreign firms are vying to become the Philippines third telecommunications player. The government plans on revealing the winning bidder next month. Information and Communications Technology Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. said the firms vying for the slot are China Telecom, Norway’s Telenor, Austria’s Mobitel, and South Korea’s Koreatel. Rio said each of the firms are bigger than the Philippines’ telco giants Smart PLDT and Globe. He added that other interested bidders are allowed to join until November 7th, which is when the bid documents will be opened. The winning bidder will also be announced on that day. The third player will be picked based on these criteria – high level of service, and financial and technical capability. President Rodrigo Duterte wants a third telco player that will compete with giants PLDT and Globe to provide Filipinos with better services at lower costs.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information