Thanks to Fitbit and other fitness trackers, the Philippines’s health-related business process outsourcing industry is thriving. Jeff Williams, chairman of the Healthcare Information Management Association of the Philippines (HIMAP), said the industry grew nearly 10-fold over six years. The industry is comprised of nurses and doctors who give medical and health advice over the phone to customers in North America. Over-the-phone health analyses and check-ups account for 10% of BPOs in the Philippines. Williams said this will not lead to a reduction of the number of healthcare workers in actual hospitals. According to Williams getting an on-the-call health expert to analyze data from health monitoring devices makes check-ups faster and more efficient. In 2017, the industry earned US$2.8 billion in revenues, six times higher than in 2012 when it made US$450 million. Williams stated the industry now has 133,000 direct employees, a 787% increase over six years.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information