The mayor of Iloilo city announced that he wants the city to become a hub for jobs by opening it as an investment area to create more employment opportunities, even for people from the nearby provinces. Mayor Jose Espinosa III said the city’s business process outsourcing (BPO) sector needs at least 5,000 workers. Jessraf Palmares, chairman of the Iloilo Federation for Information Technology (IFIT), said the industry currently has 26,000 workers. Espinosa noted that the city is collaborating with the private sector and has conducted trade missions in the United States and China to attract more foreign investors. The Department of Labor and Employment Region 6 (DOLE 6) held a Labor Day job fair wherein 3,000 applicants were interviewed and 65 applicants were hired on the spot for local employment, said Niezel Anne Sabrido, DOLE 6 labor relations focal person.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information