About 92% of Filipino freelancers worry about job stability, according to a survey done by digital payment company PayPal. Nagesh Devata, general manager for PayPal Southeast Asia Cross-Border Trade, said job stability is one of the major challenges faced by freelancers as it is difficult for them to forecast their businesses while moving from one contract to the next. Devata said that globally the Philippines has one of the largest proportions of freelancers to total population, with 2% of its economy made up of freelancers. Aside from mentioning job stability as a key challenge, the PayPal study also highlighted the different methods that the estimated 1.5 million Filipino freelancers use to sustain their businesses. About 64% freelance for multiple clients, 54% build client relationships, 20% charge higher rates, and 14% invest in upskilling with additional training. PayPal conducted the survey in April to better understand the requirements of freelancers.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information