The majority of the 1,301 Chinese nationals who possess a Philippine Alien Employment Permit (AEP) work at a business process outsourcing (BPO) firm at Newtown, Barangay Mactan, Lapu-Lapu City. The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)-7 director Johnson Cañete said the Chinese make up the highest number of foreign workers in Central Visayas. He said that from 81 workers the number has now risen to 1,301. The increase has come following President Rodrigo Duterte’s three visits to the People’s Republic of China. As of November this year, the region has 2,432 foreign workers. Those workers include Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Indians, Taiwanese, Americans, Danish, Pakistanis, Australians, French, Malaysians, Vietnamese, Spanish, Russians, and Israelis. All 2,432 foreigners are AEP holders, a far cry from last year’s 839. Cañete said DOLE-7 granted AEPs to foreign applicants after their employers were able to justify the need for these workers who can speak their language.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information