Nigeria wants to become a global destination for business process outsourcing (BPO) locators and aims to achieve this by following the Philippines’ model. A report by Vanguard Nigeria noted how the Philippines, with a population of just over one hundred million, has dethroned India as the BPO capital of the world. Industry experts said Nigeria, with a population of about 200 million people, could achieve similar success in the BPO sector. The report also cited the factors such as good English speaking skills and a large pool of university graduates that have contributed to the Philippines’ rise as the global BPO destination. Tobechukwu Okigbo, Corporate Relations Executive, MTN Nigeria, said Nigeria also has such attributes and others that could make the country a prime target for the BPO industry. However, he pointed out that Nigeria still lacks the basic communications infrastructure needed for BPO firms to operate competitively.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information