PLDT chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan has backed the PHP40 billion subsidy for the business process outsourcing (BPO) industry’s skills upgrade program. He said the industry deserves the support to help it achieve its goals in 2022. These goals include two million direct hires, 7.6 million indirect hires, 500,000 jobs outside the National Capital Region (NCR), US$40 billion in revenues, and a 15% share of the global information technology and business process management industry. Pangilinan said that to remain relevant the BPOs need to level up with the digital trends, adding that new and more sophisticated services in the fields of finance, health services, education, and cyber security require higher forms of knowledge and skills from the industry. Senior figures from the Information Technology and Business Process Association of the Philippines are in talks with the government over the annual subsidy of PHP8 billion for the five-year IT skills upgrade program.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information