Senator Gregorio “Gringo” Honasan will head the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT). The outgoing lawmaker announced that he has accepted President Rodrigo Duterte’s offer of to lead the department. He will replace acting DICT Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. However, Honasan’s appointment still needs to be confirmed by the Commission on Appointments. If confirmed, he will be the second secretary of DICT since its creation in 2016. Although Honasan is not tech-savvy, Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto said he will be an asset. Honasan said he will take up the post to provide management and direction to DICT. He also said the agency has competent workers who can assist him and perform technical work. The 70-year-old lawmaker’s second term in the Senate will end next year. Honasan, a former rebel soldier, is no longer eligible to run in next year’s midterm elections.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information