The ongoing Verizon strike has already caught the attention of the Obama administration. CNN Money reported that the Obama administration is now trying to help negotiate an end to the increasingly bitter strike, which started when the company announced plans to outsource thousands of jobs to the Philippines and other locations. The unions have been working without a contract since August, and 36,000 Verizon workers went on strike on April 13. Among the list of grievances of the striking workers are the planned outsourcing of 5,000 jobs to Mexico, the Philippines and the Dominican Republic, and the capping of pensions at 30 years of service.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information