A report from International Labor Organization (ILO) in 2016 revealed that 49 percent of Filipinos working in business process outsourcing (BPO) firms are at risk of losing their jobs when BPO companies shift to automation using artificial intelligence (AI). Alarmed by the said report, Senator Bam Aquino is now seeking an inquiry into the threat posed by AI on jobs. Aquino underscored that the country should be preparing for any eventuality that may occur when automation goes into full swing as AI is one of the emerging technologies emphasized in the government’s economic growth road map. The inquiry will come as the BPO upgrades the skills of its workers to avoid being replaced by computers.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information