A new report released by the Manila-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) presents a positive outlook about artificial intelligence (AI) and automation displacing workers, especially in the business process outsourcing (BPO) sector. According to the report, robots and automation are creating more jobs in Asia than they are destroying. The adoption of robotics and other connected systems stimulated higher productivity and economic growth that is creating 134 million jobs, compared with the 101 million lost to new technologies, according to the report. The report was based on ADB’s analysis of a dozen Asian economies between 2005 and 2015. While some workers are displaced by automation, improved productivity and lower prices often spur higher demand. For the BPO industry, the ADB said there will be new opportunities driven by greater demand for more complex outsourcing services. However, the bank said the demand will require more specialized training.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information