A study conducted by the International Labour Organization showed that business process outsourcing (BPO) joins textiles, clothing and footwear; automotive and auto parts; electrical and electronics; and retail as the sectors most at risk from automation. The study showed that about 137 million workers or 56% of the salaried workforce from the Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand fall under the high-risk category due to automation in the next two decades. According to Deborah France-Massin, director for the ILO’s bureau for employers’ activities, countries that compete on low-wage labor need to reposition themselves because price advantage is no longer enough. The ILO report added that workers need to be trained to work effectively alongside digitalised machines.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information