The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) said there won’t be any problem if revenues from the business process outsourcing (BPO) industry overtake remittances from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). In fact, BSP regional monetary affairs managing director Iluminada Sicat, said the takeover spells a good diversification in the Philippine economy. She said the BPO sector has greatly contributed to where the Philippine economy is today. However, Sicat said she cannot determine if BPO revenues will exceed OFW remittances in the short-term. BSP data showed that OFW cash remittances reached USD25.76bn last year, up 4.6% from USD24.63bn in 2014. The BPO industry, meanwhile, generated USD22bn in revenues, with 1.1 million in direct employment.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information