English proficiency among Filipino college seniors is only at par with high school students from Vietnam and Thailand, according Hopkins International Partners General Manager Rex Wallen Tan. He made the statement after a sample of 10,000 Filipino graduating college students took the Test of English for International Communication or TOEIC and got an average score of B1. Tan said the result was alarming given that the country’s outsourcing industry is under threat from artificial intelligence. Good English proficiency is vital to the industry which helps attract foreign companies to set up back offices here as the country competes with India to be the world’s outsourcing capital.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information