The Insurance Commission of the Philippines has released a circular that provides new guidelines and definitions on outsourcing the business activities and processes of insurance companies. According to the guidelines, insurance companies are responsible to their policyholders for any of their outsourced activities, and for ensuring that the outsourced activities are conducted in a safe and effective manner. The guidelines also warn that business process outsourcing providers hired by insurers are not allowed to conduct solicitation activities or perform loss adjustment. They are also prohibited from deciding on whether to underwrite risks, or approve insurance or reinsurance claims. Both insurance companies and BPO firms are also mandated to observe and comply with data privacy laws in the collection, holding, processing, and use of clients’ personal information.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information