Foreign investment for the entire 2016 dropped by an annual 10.7% to P219 billion, according to data released by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). The PSA data further showed that in the fourth quarter alone, investment pledges dropped 9.3% to P125.7 billion. The drop could have been affected by the performance of global markets such as the recovering US and European economies, according to De La Salle University economics profession Mitzie Irene P. Conchada. She said the protectionist policies of US President Donald Trump has triggered concern that foreign investment could slow down in 2017. Conchada added that industries that may be vulnerable this year would be the service sector, particularly the business process outsourcing industry, and the mining industry.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information