State-run Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) has intensified its efforts to combat unlawful gaming operations. Philippine law enforcement agencies have raided over 170 illegal online gambling operations since January of last year. PAGCOR VP Jose Tria Jr. said the crackdown had been stepped up in June 2018 following a mutual cooperation pact with the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Bureau of Immigration. Last year, President Rodrigo Duterte declared war on illegal gambling. He signed an executive order further regulating the issuance of gambling licenses, including those for online operations, and directed the PNP and NBI to go after gambling syndicates and unlicensed operators. Andrea Domingo, PAGCOR chair, said government officials would make life miserable for any online gambling operators conducting business without a PAGCOR-issued Philippine Offshore Gambling Operator license. Domingo advised operators to legalize operations otherwise they will face lawsuits.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information