Candidates for the presidential elections in 2016 have been told to present their agenda for business process outsourcing (BPO) workers, following the shutting down of five call centers in the last four years. In a statement, labor party list Partido Manggagawa asked presidential candidates – Vice President Jejomar Binay, former Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago, and former Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte – to spell out their agenda for the BPO industry, particularly for its workers. The party list group is advocating strict government regulation of the BPO industry to weed out fly-by-night companies, which the group described as not respecting labor rights in the Philippines. Recently, Eziconnect Philippines, a BPO company located in Cebu, suddenly shut down, leaving its 30 workers jobless and without just compensation.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information