The colonisation of the Philippines by the United States between 1898 and 1946 was considered as a major factor in the success of the business process outsourcing (BPO) industry in the country. Add to that the US-style regulatory systems and a large pool of English speakers and you have BPO as the economic success story of the Philippines, Aimee Engelmann, CEO of BPO firm Beepo, was quoted as saying. The Philippine BPO industry has evolved from just phone support, according to Rob Nixon. The industry is now working more broadly with businesses around the world, offering skills-based services such as accounting, engineering, computer programming, among others. The Philippine BPO industry is widely credited with helping to keep the country’s annual economic growth rate at 6% to 8%.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information