According to the Philippine Society of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism (PSEDM) business process outsourcing (BPO) workers are among the millions of Filipinos who are at risk of diabetes. The report said that by 2040 the country’s number of diabetics is expected to increase by 12 million. Dr. Jeremy Robles of PSEDM said the increase is largely caused by more cases of type 2 diabetes due to the growing prevalence of obesity, sedentary lifestyles, and unhealthy diets. He said millennials, BPO workers and overseas workers are the most at risk because of constant exposure to work strain and/or emotional stress, of little or no access to affordable and nutritious food, and of a lack of physical exercise. Roble said the danger is more pronounced among BPO workers, (estimated to be over 1 million Filipinos), who are not only prone to sleep problems but also to risk factors linked to the development of diabetes.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information