Former Senator Manuel Roxas II, who is also considered as one of the main pioneers who helped open the country to outsourcing companies, has emphasized the importance of Filipino job seekers being competent in English language skills to remain in demand. Roxas made the pronouncement in response to the fact that BPO companies may have around 50 job slots available, but they can only hire five people due to the lack of applicants who are competent in the English language. Roxas said that it was during his stint at the Department of Trade and Industry that he invited American BPO firms to invest in the Philippines at the height of the Asian Financial Crisis, and that there are now about 1.1 million Filipinos working in call centers.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information