The Philippines should be more strategic in addressing its economic challenges and not rely on just services to boost growth, said former National Economic and Development Authority Secretary Cielito F. Habito. He pointed out that artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics are already cutting incomes worldwide, which is a threat to the country’s economy, considering that outsourcing is the number one private employer in the Philippines. Habito cited that the Philippines should already plan for the era after BPO adding that the country has been quite successful in finding other sources of growth in recent years. However, more needs to be done, especially in agriculture, tourism and manufacturing, which have the highest potential to reduce income inequality nationwide.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information