The Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) has suspended the operations of American BPO firm Research Now SSI as a consequence of the deadly mall fire that killed 37 of its employees in Davao City. However, SSI’s office in Cebu will not be affected as it has been complying with PEZA rules, said PEZA director-general Charito Plaza. SSI and the mall were registered with PEZA in 2008, as a business process outsourcing firm and an economic zone developer, respectively. SSI employed 500 people at the Davao call center, and it has said it will not comment on the fire until after investigations have been concluded.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information