Smart Communications Inc (Smart), the wireless subsidiary of PLDT, and Ericsson have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to deploy the first 5G pilot network in the Philippines by the first half of 2019. Under the MoU, the 5G network will be first deployed in Luzon, the country’s largest and most populous island where about a third of the population work and live. Martin Wiktorin, Head of Ericsson Singapore, Brunei, Philippines and Pacific Islands, believes first movers in 5G can reshape the market, grow market share, and increase revenue streams. Smart has been testing 5G since 2016, when it achieved with its technology partner Nokia 5G speeds of 2.5 Gigabits per seconds using 100 MHz with latency of just 1 millisecond over a “live” network – the first in the Philippines.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information