Business process outsourcing (BPO) revenue continues to fuel retail spending and maintain a level of Philippine economic growth that is enviable by Western standards. BPO receipts and remittances from Filipinos working abroad remain growth drivers in the Philippines, according to analysts. The consumption-led economy likely expanded 1.5 percent in Q1 from the previous three months. While slightly slower than the 1.7 percent expansion in the December quarter, the expected pace would be one of the fastest in the region, Reuters reported. Economic Planning secretary Ernesto Pernia told Reuters in January he expected annual growth in the first quarter to be between 6.5 and 7.0 percent, or even higher, as the government committed to ramp up infrastructure spending.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information