Improved telecommunication speeds and operation will keep the Philippine business process outsourcing (BPO) industry competitive, according to a report published by Seeking Alpha. The report said the BPO industry stands to benefit from the acquisition of Philippine Long Distance Telephone (PLDT) and Globe Telecom of the 700 MHz spectrum from San Miguel’s subsidiary Vega Telecom. The acquisition could mean higher Internet speed and wider Internet access in the country. The two telecommunications firms bought the spectrum from San Miguel for about USD1.4bn. The country’s BPO industry, which is considered as one of the major income generators for the Philippine economy, could further expand with faster Internet speed, the report added. The industry currently employs 1.2 million people.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information