Local telecommunication companies need government support in the deployment of information and communication technology (ICT)-related infrastructure, most especially in rural and far-flung areas, to improve and address business viability concerns. National Telecommunications Commission commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba explained that since the Philippine telco industry is not dominated by state-owned firms, unlike in the rest of the ASEAN countries, privately owned telcos (PLDT and Globe) are financing the massive investments in network infrastructure. Given this scenario, Cordoba underscored the urgent need for government to implement the PHP72-billion national broadband network program to deliver fast Internet service to far-flung areas.
Join the world's premier outsourcing community
Get the world's leading outsourcing news summary, Inside Outsourcing, delivered to your inbox each week, for free. Plus, benefit from being a part of the fastest growing outsourcing community.
- Breaking news: daily web updates with outsourcing sector updates
- Newshub: Browse over 4,000 outsourcing industry news items
- Access: get outsourcing white papers, guides, articles, videos and podcast episodes
- BPO community: join our extensive outsourcing community
- Cancel anytime: zero obligation, no spam, just great information